(Quantities for a 6-litre slow cooker; the ranges are pretty much the minimum and maximum for the size.)
- 1-2kg potatoes
- 1-2kg chicken pieces, eg 6-12 thighs, ideally without skin
- 2-4 onions
- 2-4 cloves garlic
- 2-4 carrots
- salt, oil, tumeric, marjoram, hot water
- Oil the slow-cooker and turn it on so it can warm up. Peel potatoes, cut into pieces (slices or quarters), put into slow-cooker, salt and cover with hot water from the kettle.
- In half-kilo lots, fry the chicken on oil with an onion (halved) and a clove of garlic (also halved) each time. Use a little bit of tumeric. Don't stress about frying the chicken carefully, it'll get cooked anyway. Dump each lot into the slow cooker as you go, marjoram generously and add hot water so it's almost covered each time.
- Cut the carrots into thirds (or whatever seems reasonable), add to slow cooker. Even things out so it's all neat and everything is almost covered with water. Marjoram a bit more.
- Cook 6+ hours on high or overnight on low.
⇦Citizen-individuals vs citizen-households
⇨Imperative-looking syntax for Mercury?